Our mission is to celebrate the Bay Area’s scientific wonders, resources, and opportunities by exploring the role of science, engineering, and technology locally & in the world.
Created by the Bay Area’s scientific, cultural, and educational institutions, the Bay Area Science Festival returns with an 10 day festival, scheduled October 24th – November 2nd. The Science & Health Education Partnership (SEP) at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is pleased to produce the festival alongside a core group of science institutions. The festival will provide a wide range of science & technology activities – lectures, debates, exhibitions, concerts, plays, workshops, etc. –at a variety of locations throughout the Bay Area.
Young people will understand that science is fun, exciting and important, encouraging them to pursue careers in science; parents will feel more confident about supporting their kids’ interests in science; teachers will have new resources to get students thinking about science outside of the classroom; and, policy-makers and corporate leaders will understand that the public demand for science-related resources is real…and requires investment and support.
This ambitious collaborative public education initiative brings together our leading academic, scientific, corporate, and non-profit institutions to showcase the region as an international leader in innovation. Based on similar festivals throughout the world, the 50+ festival events are expected to attract over 50,000 active participants, many of whom traditionally do not have access to quality scientific resources.
• Raise awareness of the importance of science in everyday life in the minds of our local community
• Increase dialogue about science and technology throughout the region
• Provide unparalleled access to the region’s vast science and technology assets
• Create meaningful direct interactions with scientists across all age ranges.
• Engage young people in the fun, excitement and awe of science to inspire them to careers in science & technology
• Encourage partnership and collaboration between and among the STEM community and our target audience