» » »

Making the Largest-Ever 3D Maps of our Universe

Josh Dillon

The last century has seen a revolution in our understanding of the universe and our place in it. We now know that the universe is about 13.8 billion years old and is only about 5% normal matter - the stuff we’re made up of, like protons, neutrons, electrons. Uncovering the nature of the other 95%, the mysterious dark matter and even more mysterious dark energy, is one of the most important questions in fundamental physics today.

Dr. Dillon will talk about a new technique being developed at Berkeley, with collaborators around the world, using radio telescopes to make huge 3D maps of hydrogen, the most abundant element in the universe, to test our cosmological theories. He will explain the observational challenges being  faced and the reason why we’re building a giant array of 350 dishes, each one almost 50 feet across, in the middle of the South African desert. He will discuss how we know what we know about cosmology today and how we use radio telescopes to map out the ancient hydrogen and see the impact that the very first stars, galaxies, black holes, and maybe even dark matter had on it.

Speaker: Josh Dillon, UC Berkeley

Wednesday, 10/17/18


Website: Click to Visit



Save this Event:

Google Calendar
Yahoo! Calendar
Windows Live Calendar

San Francisco Amateur Astronomers

Randall Museum
199 Museum Way
San Francisco, CA 94114