Insects get a bad rap, but deserve awe and wonder! From pollinating plants to decomposing waste, insects are the foundation of the food web and crucial to thriving ecosystems. This NightLife, these hard-working, often overlooked critters take center stage as we highlight some of the world’s most fascinating bugs. Walk among butterflies in the Rainforest, peruse one-of-a-kind specimens, and delight in fantastical larger-than-life insect models in our latest exhibit: Bugs.
Sounds by STARFARI
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 7:30 PM - Flower Mantids: Friend or Faux?
- Learn the freaky and fabulous feasting methods of a deceptive flower mimic in a live talk from Academy senior biologist, Spencer Rennerfeldt.
- 8:30 PM - Ant-i-Social
- Join entomology curator and Academy “Antman” Brian Fisher and artist Catherine Chalmers for a unique intersection of art and nature focused on language, ritual, and of course, ants.
- 8 PM - Find out what it takes to successfully tend to a honeybee colony and get involved in the Planet Bee Citizen Science Project with a live talk from Dr. Jason Graham.
- All Evening - Stop by to check out a live observation hive, chat with the experts from Planet Bee, and learn about the mating ritual of the queen (spoiler alert: she doesn’t use Bumble).
Buggin’ Out Showcase
6 - 10 PM
- Get an up close look at some of the Academy's wildest specimens from our extensive Entomology collection.
- Chat with Entomology Curator Brian Fisher and artist Catherine Chalmers about the importance of leafcutter ants and send a personal message to the Academy’s living colony in the Osher Rainforest.
Contact:Website: Click to Visit
Cost:$19.25 - $17.50 depending on time
Save this Event:iCalendar
Windows Live Calendar
San Francisco, CA 94118
Phone: (415) 379-8000
Website: Click to Visit